Thursday, July 18, 2013

Wednesday, July 17th

Unbelievably, it was already time for Waverly's one month check up!  Actually, it was a bit *past* time since she is officially six weeks old.  Scarlett accompanied me to the doctor's office and was my big helper, while Victoria and Lincoln stayed home and played with Nana.  Waverly's official one-month check up stats are:  11 pounds, 22 inches long, 17.5 cm head.  She is getting so big!


She does so well holding her, and was very concerned that Waverly would be nervous and so she sat with her on the table in the room. 


Back home, we found that Victoria and Lincoln had set up an animal shelter in the playroom.  Each animal had it's own bin ("cage") and they were for sale - I purchased a reindeer :-)

It was time for school, and the kids all worked on their respective reading and math.  Then they were begging me to invent chores for them that would be extra and would earn them money; I was distracted with the baby and didn't really answer them, so they came up with some on their own.


I had to rummage through our book collection to find some new material for Scarlett to work on, and came across "Olivia and the School Carnival" - it was perfect!  We only worked through about 7 pages for her reading time, and I would say 50% was very easy, 25% was moderately difficult (occasional words she had to actually stop and sound out), and 25% was very difficult - words we hadn't yet worked on at all that we stopped and defined.  I would estimate that we'll end up taking a total of three days to finish the book, then we'll take another day to read through it completely, and a final (fifth) day to have her read to other adult listeners such as Jim, Gram or Nana.  I've found that for her, this aids her retention immensely on all of those new words and her read aloud confidence!


While I fed Waverly, the girls dumped the single-sock bin and spent the better part of an hour sorting them and finding matches.  I was impressed!  There are only a few stragglers left.  This was one of the self-assigned chores, and I gave them each a quarter for their hard work, and Lincoln a quarter for not pesting them while they did it... I'm pretty sure that's only encouraging his future as a career extortionist, but sometimes we moms have to get creative :-p


Meanwhile, this sweet little cherub was happily smiling and belly laughing at... the ceiling fan :-)  Apparently this house came with a deluxe comedic fan in the living room.


While I had been feeding her, I was browsing Facebook, and one of my friends had linked to an article.  I can't remember who it was or anything else about the article, but I actually screen captioned this one blurb that really hit home for me.  I wanted to save it and have it to read again and again - as Christian parents it is so easy to put undue pressure on ourselves to MAKE our kids "good."  We certainly have a responsibility to train up our children, but ultimately we cannot make them do anything... the choice has to be their own.  Scary, but also liberating!  The quote says, "I cannot make you holy.  I cannot make you choose to be excellent.  You have a will and you have to decide in your heart what kind of person you want to be.  When you decide to obey and choose to be holy, you will be building a character for yourself that will serve you the rest of your life."  What a wonderful truth to impart to my kids!  I think I will print out the quote and put it somewhere for us to look over and discuss.


But back to the regularly scheduled day... this baby is in a hurry!  She seems to be alternating days - one day she will be very sleepy and snooze a big portion of the day away.  The next day she is awake for huge chunks of time and seems to only catnap.  On these days she really wants to be "exercising," and practices to hold her head up higher and with more stability.  When she gets into the position above, she is already trying to get her knees up under her and scooch forward!!  Slow down baby girl, slow down - don't grow up too fast.


 This is what she says about slowing down ;-)  (I'm enjoying my new photo captioning app!)

After nap time, Nana remembered the window markers I had squirreled away when re-organizing the arts/crafts/school closet over the weekend, and sent Lincoln to ask for them.  They worked on their masterpiece until it was time to get ready for karate.  The girls were thrilled, as they were officially getting signed up to join the Tiny Tigers class with Lincoln!  I am so happy that they have found a sport/activity that they are all so equally enthused with.  Back home following karate, we had dinner (pizza, thanks to Nana!) and the kids spent the rest of the evening playing an elaborate imagination game that required some funky costumes that they put together themselves.


  She is a trooper and let Lincoln and Victoria make this wonderful art work for her on the sliding glass door!


The kids learned and practiced round house kicks among other drills.  They of course were eager to come home and practice on our little punching inflatable bag at home!


At the end of class they received their uniforms, which made their day.


Victoria came running into my room and asked, "Does this look like what someone would wear if they wanted to be super SAFE?" Haha :-)  Looks like some creative safety gear to me!


I don't even know.  Love their imaginations!

No comments:

Post a Comment