Friday, August 16, 2013

Wednesday, August 14th

With a playdate planned for the late morning, we had a shorter school time on Wednesday.  Our friends arrived and the kids got busy swimming... however, it was an unseasonably cool day for the middle of August in Georgia!  The high was only around 80 degrees, and when we started swimming a bit before noon it wasn't even that warm.  My kids were claiming they were "freezing" after about 40 minutes :-p  Despite that, all of the kids had a fun time and I sure enjoyed chatting with my friend as well :-)

Naptime followed, then a snack, karate and back home for dinner and playing.  A good day!



Waverly wanted to be held (a surprise to no one) and was being extra smiley; I wanted to capture her cute grin, but as soon as I whipped out my camera (phone) the smiles disappeared.  I took one "selfie" of us and showed it to her...


Gave her a big smooch...


And voila! The grin reappeared :-) 


Scarlett did her reading and math, Victoria did a partial reading lesson and we reviewed the "friend blend" (what I call two sounds that together make a new, separate sound) -er as it has been causing some hiccups for her when reading. Then the kids were all begging to work on the timeline cards, so I obliged.


 Scarlett, putting them in order and "teaching" Lincoln.


Lincoln surprised me - mostly, I let him have a turn because he was adamant that he WAS getting a turn ;-)  But although he can't read, the pictures really do help and he ended up getting them mostly in order (first 8).


We'll be starting Handwriting Without Tears (Kindergarten level) next week for Victoria and Lincoln.  I wanted to allow Lincoln time to get familiar with the "Wet-Dry-Try" method they promote for practicing writing letters.  I let him scribble, use the mini sponges to wet/eras what he'd done, then use a paper towel tidbit to dry... about 1,000 times, or to his heart's content!  He loved it :-)  


Victoria really wanted a long turn with the bin of magnet manipulatives, so I chose to let her explore and play with those in lieu of her usual chapter of math (Life of Fred: Apples).  After a while, she and Lincoln hopped down and switched place and he messed around with the magnets while she used the small slate board, sponges and chalk.


Pool time with friends Maya & Zoe!  Of course Lincoln insisted we needed popsicles almost the moment we stepped food outdoors :-p


Victoria was chilled from the pool pretty early on and hopped out to play with this ladybug she'd found and "adopted."  I think she holed up on the deck for 40 minutes to play, talk with and sing to this bug :-p This caused drama when she wanted to re-enter the game the other three girls were playing in the pool, as she wanted everyone to get out and play with the bug and no one wanted to.  Eventually she got over it and they all went inside after lunch to play together :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment